About | Become Certified | What to Study
FAQs | Exam Registration | Advice From Members
The Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and the Certified in Financial Management (CFM) programs have been designed to recognize the unique qualifications and expertise of those professionals engaged in management accounting and financial management. These certifications provide distinction in today’s economic climate and afford the opportunity to certify your expertise in business areas that are critical to the decision-making process.
The Certification Programs have four objectives:
- To establish management accounting and financial management as recognized professions by identifying the role of the professional, the underlying body of knowledge, and a course of study by which such knowledge is acquired
- To encourage higher educational standards in the management accounting and financial management fields
- To establish an objective measure of an individual's knowledge and competence in the fields of management accounting and financial management; and
- To encourage continued professional development.
The Certified Management Accountant and Certified in Financial Management designations are granted only by the ICMA.
- Communicate your broad business competency and strategic financial mastery.
- Obtain contemporary professional knowledge and develop skills and abilities that are valued by successful businesses.
- Convey your commitment to an exemplary standard of excellence that is grounded on a strong ethical foundation and lifelong learning.
- Enhance your career development and professional promotion opportunities.
Profile of Certification Candidates
Examination Pass Rates
Candidates for both the CMA and the CFM are eligible for examination awards based on the total score for all four parts. Those who exercise the option of waiving exam parts are not eligible to compete for the CMA or CFM awards. To qualify for an award, the candidate must (1) complete each of the four parts on the first attempt, and (2) complete all four parts within six months. The awards available are described below.
- Deloitte & Touche sponsors the Robert Beyer Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals in honor of Robert Beyer, a former managing partner of Touche Ross & Co., and past national president of the IMA. They are awarded to the candidates achieving the top scores on the CMA Examination.
- Johnson & Johnson sponsors the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals awarded to the candidates achieving the top scores on the CFM Examination.
- A Student Performance Award is presented to the student candidate earning the highest score on the CMA and CFM examination.
- The ICMA Board of Regents presents Certificates of Distinguished Performance to other candidates attaining superior scores
Colleges with the best CMA Pass Rates
Colleges with the best CFM Pass Rates
For more information, including admission requirements, visit